Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chemo Caps Galore



Okay so I've been pretty busy working on these chemo caps. I have found that it is feasible for me to do three caps in one evening.








My real issue is that I don't 'read' patterns. It got to be very frustrating because I know that my Grandma never read patterns and made beautiful things. I kept working on it and came up with two versions of caps.








The first cap is more of a bucket style chemo cap. I started using a Youtube video seen here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XXtcCBzknPg . I found that when you work with a smaller needle that you can still do it but you need to increase the number of rows in the circle. The other thing that I did was when it was time to start coming down from the circle instead of sticking the needle through the front or back hoop I stuck it through both. Does that even make sense?




The other style hat is even easier. Start by chaining. There is no right or wrong on this part. Chain until you get to the distance you want (I measure it around the forehead of the intended recipent). Then do a second row like you would a blanket. At this point you crochet down the two rows on one side, and then do a modified slip stitch. In other words stick the hook through the other end and put the yarn over and pull through both. Now go up to the next row and then you should be above the two rows which is now a circle.




From this point just keep going around in whatever stitch you prefer. I like to do two rows of double chain and then a row of triple. This makes for a nice ridge. Then measure again against the head of the intended victim (er, um recipent). If it comes to the top of their head you are halfway there. The next row you you skip every fourth. Next row do normal and then next row skip every fourth. (Are you still with me?). At this point you should be getting close. Just skip every 2-5 depending on your type of stitch and work your way closed. When I am on the last stitch I pull the yarn and hook into the hat. This way your knot is hidden. Play around with it - you'll get it.

No comments: