Friday, February 1, 2008

Socks!

Okay I've been messing around again. Last night I decided to try to start socks. I am using the In Your Shoes Ankle Socks pattern .

The pattern is in plain English which makes it so much easier for me to read. I have had a few minor issues.

First it mentions to SC up until 8 inches or 1/2 inch smaller than your foot width. I have tiny feet and measured across the top of my foot to get almost 4 inches. So I did it up to 3 1/2 inches and continued on. Once I realized that was the cuff I saw that it MIGHT fit my toddler. So RIP ... Then I went ahead and continued and measured around my cuff area every few rows and sure enough - 8 inches.

It gets a little confusing at this point. I had to stare, crochet, rip, stare, repeat several times before I understood what they meant about SC 18, chain 18, SC 36. But I finally realized that it meant to just leave 18 chain hanging and then reattach to the other side.

I now have a nice ribbed cuff, a gaping hole in the back, and a few rows to go down the foot.

Also I know this pattern calls for thin yarn. I am using leftover neon pink Red Heart type yarn. Yes I know that means the sock won't fit in my shoes. First - I would never be caught dead in neon pink. Second - I rarely wear shoes and wear out tons of socks. Third - I like to use cheap yarn on new projects to get an idea what I am doing before I worry about speciality yarn. Once I get the pattern down then it is different.

I don't have any photos yet. I worked up until 5 AM when I finally went to get some sleep. I'll probably take some photos later before I continue and then take more photos when it is done.

No comments: